Ronald Tuxworth Procter (H, 1949)

Ronald Procter, brother of Mervyn Procter (Day Boy, 1937), died on 13 July 2023, aged 92. The following has been provided by Ronald’s son, Jeremy.

Born in Cheltenham on 25 January 1931, Ronald was the youngest of four brothers. His father died when he was young, in 1941, at which time the family lived in Sherborne.

At College, Ronald was Head of House and excelled in sport. He was Captain of Cricket, Fives and Squash and was awarded colours in cricket, rugby and hockey.

Ronald went on to Sandhurst Royal Military Academy, where he continued to play hockey and cricket for his regiment, Royal Engineers. After passing out, he continued in the Royal Engineers before attending the University of Cambridge for a short course for forces students post-national service. He was awarded a ‘Cambridge Blue’ in hockey in 1955.

Ronald returned to the Army until retiring in 1968, when he joined the consulting engineers practice G Maunsell and Partners (GMP), working as a resident engineer on motorway construction projects for the M53 on the Wirral and the Birmingham middle ring road. In 1976, Ronald joined the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB), working from Bristol as a civil contracts engineer managing repair, maintenance, demolition and improvement of the CEGB power stations in the southwest. Privatisation saw the break- up of the old CEGB and he was moved to Powergen, working from Gloucester and then Birmingham. The disruption and uncertainty was not enjoyable so he eventually took early retirement.

In December 1956, Ronald married Adriane. They had two children, Jeremy in 1959 and Katherine in 1963. Ronald took enormous pride in the lives and achievements of their children and, later, grandchildren Emily and Tom. He couldn’t help his pride and interest in Tom’s cricketing skill.

In retirement, Ronald and Adriane settled in Daglingworth, near Cirencester. It was around this time that he became involved with the Cheltonian Society and had time to return to the College for cricket matches and reunions, something he enjoyed well into his retirement until he became too frail.

After Adriane died in October 2003, Ronald stayed in Daglingworth and has looked after his daughter Katherine who has severe ME. The commitment he made to our mother to look after Katherine was fulfilled unswervingly, even though it did restrict his ability to enjoy more of the lives of his grandchildren. Ronald died in Cirencester hospital after a period of illness. He is survived by his daughter Katherine, son Jeremy, daughter-in-law Kate, and grandchildren Emily and Tom.